Why We’re Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be)
“You can be young, passionate about Jesus Christ, surrounded by diversity, engaged in a postmodern world, reared in evangelicalism and not be an emergent Christian. In fact, I want to argue that it would be better if you weren’t.”
The Emergent Church is a strong voice in today’s Christian community. And they’re talking about good things: caring for the poor, peace for all men, loving Jesus. They’re doing church a new way, not content to fit the mold. Again, all good. But there’s more to the movement than that. Much more.
Kevin and Ted are two guys who, demographically, should be all over this movement. But they’re not. And Why We’re Not Emergent gives you the solid reasons why. From both a theological and an on-the-street perspective, Kevin and Ted diagnose the emerging church. They pull apart interviews, articles, books, and blogs, helping you see for yourself what it’s all about.
Format: 6 x 9 paperback
CHURCH & MINISTRY/CHURCH LIFE/EMERGING CHURCH
Introduction: Still Submergent After All These Years
Maybe—the New Yes
- Journey: Are the Pilgrims Still Making Progress?
- Rebel without a Cause: Something Worth Submitting to
- Bible: Why I Love the Person and Propositions of Jesus
- Thank You for Smoking: On Dialogue, Futurism, and Hell
- Doctrine: The Drama Is in the Dogma
- A Funeral for a Friend: On Churches, Story, and Propositional Language
- Modernism: The Boogeyman Cometh
- Where Everyone Knows Your Name: Dialoguing for the Sake of Dialogue
- Jesus: Bringer of Peace, Bearer of Wrath
- Real Topeka People: In Search of Community
- Why I Don’t Want a Cool Pastor
Epilogue: Listening to All the Churches of Revelation
Download the book sampler in PDF. (This is a 10 meg file)
This 66 page booklet contains the table of contents of the book, introductions by both authors, Chapter 1 by Kevin and Chapter 2 by Ted. This is a great introduction to both the book and to the emergent controversy. This booklet could be used for group studies or for sharing with friends.